Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent


I am going to try my hand at making and using homemade laundry detergent.  My great friend, Shannon, is going to come along with me on this journey.  We have the ingredients and everything necessary to make it, we just need to find the time to make it.

I think that we will probably try the powder version first, to make sure we get the soap amount correct, as the recipe calls for one Fels-Naptha bar, which is 5.5 oz.  The recipe says its okay to substitute Ivory soap, which we both have, but it's a 3.1 oz bar, so we're not quite 100% sure how much of the Ivory we should use. On one hand, I'd say use one full bar of Ivory plus about 75% of a second bar.  But then I start thinking about how much the Ivory will suds versus the Fels-Naptha bar. That's where we came to the conclusion to use just one Ivory bar and make the powder version of the laundry soap.  We can always go back and add in more Ivory if necessary, but we cannot take it out once we've mixed it up.

Once we get the amount of Ivory figured out, I want to try the liquid version. Supposedly, one recipe of it costs around $2 and yields 640 loads for a front-loader / high efficiency washer. I already have a 5-gallon bucket and 2 empty detergent jugs to use...just have to do my research first.

Stay tuned...I will post our results here...as well as pictures of us making the soap, the recipe, etc..

No comments:

Post a Comment